Happy Tum’s Chicken and Mushroom Puff Pie Recipe
Happy Pie Week! To celebrate the week, we are sharing one of our favourite pie recipes from Happy Tums! The pie provides all the macro nutrients that make a balanced meal – carbohydrate, fat and protein along with plenty of vegetables for fibre, antioxidants and other micro nutrients.
- Tbsp oil such as rapeseed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 2 medium/large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 rashers of streaky bacon, cut into small pieces (optional – avoid for young babies)
- 125g mushrooms, sliced
- Handful of frozen peas (optional)
- 2 tpsp plain flour
- 300-500ml chicken stock (low salt or home- made)
- 150ml Oatly dairy-free cream (or cream if not dairy-free)
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 x bay leaves
- 200-300mg left over roast chicken, shredded
- Black pepper
- Ready rolled puff pastry (check for dairy free if relevant)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Put the oil in a large pan or casserole dish and put on a medium heat.
- Add the onion, leek and potato, gently soften for around 15 minutes. Then add the bacon (if using) and mushrooms and allow to fry off. Add the peas (if using).
- Add the flour, mix and then add the stock. Turn up the heat to bring it to a simmer and then reduce the heat. You want to thicken the stock.
- Take off the heat and stir in the Oatly cream along with the mustard and chicken.
- Spoon the mix into a large pie dish and add the bay leaves.
- Cover the top of the pie with a sheet of pastry (you can egg wash the lip of the dish and over the pastry if there is no allergy but it’s not necessary). You might need to cut the excess and use that to fill any gaps where the pasty isn’t wide enough, depending on the shape of the pie dish. Crimp around the edge by indenting with the prongs of a fork.
- Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes.
And voila! Serve with green vegetables for added nutrient value!
After the birth of his daughter in 2004, founder Paul Brown, became disillusioned with bibs on the market. They tried all types of bibs but soon found they didn’t perform; they were either too hard, or too difficult to clean, perished easily and got too dirty. As a product inventor and designer, he decided to create his own premium [...]
My mission has always been to help give babies, children and families the very best start in life with my recipes. I’ve been writing cookery books for over 26 years now (with book numbers 44 and 45 coming out this summer!) but when I was writing my first book, the idea of owning a cookbook on feeding your baby [...]